Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Song #3 - "Moon River" as sung by Patty Griffin

One of my heroes is Audrey Hepburn and when I think of her, I think of Breakfast At Tiffany's, which makes me think of her signing Moon River.  As much as I love that scene, I love the song much more.  Johnny Mercer & Henry Mancini (the songwriters) created such a beautiful haunting song.  When I went to Savannah 2 years ago, I drove across the actual Moon River and visited Johnny Mercer's grave at Bonaventure cemetery.  I had no idea that Moon River was a real place until that trip.  I've added a link to the Patty Griffin version on iTunes.  It popped up on my iPod today and I just had to share.  I love her version so much.  Her voice adds to the moody & haunting spirit of the song.  I wish there was a video out there of her version, but you'll have to preview (or buy if you like) on iTunes.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/moon-river/id298481156?i=298481340


Also, just because I love her & the movie, here's the amazing Audrey singing Moon River in Breakfast At Tiffany's.  I planned to put this song up here today since early this morning & I happened to come home to a package from Tiffany's.  Odd how things like that happen.

1 comment:

  1. I love "Moon River." My great-grandmother and grandmother were from Savannah and lived not far from the Mercer home, right in the historic district. It makes me think of "Breakfast of Tiffany's" and summers in Savannah. Awesome idea for a blog. I'll try to check your posts when I have time. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete